One of the most important decisions you or your family will make during our Immeasurably More campaign will be your giving commitment decision. This information is intended to give you suggestions on how to decide what your commitment will be.
One of the tremendous themes of Scripture is "Not equal gifts but equal sacrifice." The Lord clearly has not given everyone the ability to give the same dollar amount. He does call us to make the same sacrifice in our respective commitments. How willing are you to follow the leadership of the Lord in your life?
Remember, your Immeasurably More commitment is a 36-month giving commitment. Most of us can give far more than we initially think by giving it over a three-year period.
How willing are you to follow a biblical model in arriving at your sacrificial commitment?
Each of us has a choice to make:
You can give based on your thought —
It takes no faith to give based on your reason. Reason leads a person to give what he/she can afford to give. In this method, I look at what I have, figure out what is "reasonable," and commit that amount.
You can give based upon God's revelation —
This approach calls for one to pray, "Lord what do you want to receive through me?" This approach and response calls for faith. Through prayer, your decision becomes an act of worship. Revelation giving calls for a giver to trust God. Paul said to the Macedonians, "Out of the most severe trial, their overflowing joy and their extreme poverty welled up in rich generosity. For I testify that they gave as much as they were able, and even beyond their ability." 2 Corinthians 8:2-3
Suggested steps for determining God's will
- Spend time in prayer daily. "Lord, help me have a willing heart to give. Show me how to stretch my faith and in the process - reveal Your greatness through me." If you are married pray this prayer together with your spouse.
- Be sure to give yourself time. If you will genuinely ask the Lord to show you how to give a revelation gift, He will make it clear. After such prayer, you will discover that God will show you how to give more than the amount that originally came to your mind.
- Call your family together for a family conversation. Ask your family members to be thinking of ideas in advance. Be sure to involve your children, no matter how young they are. This is a great opportunity to teach them about faith and giving.
- Read the following Bible truths and instructions in your family conversation. Make a list of what God reveals to you and your family through the Scriptures. Proverbs 3:9-10, Proverbs 11:24-25, Matthew 6:19-20, Luke 6:38, 1 Corinthians 16:1-2, 2 Corinthians 8:1-12, 2 Corinthians 9:6-12
- Ask these questions in your family conference. How can we decrease our expenses to give more? How could we increase our income to give more? What could we sell or convert to cash? Are there any assets or tangible items we could give?
- Make a commitment together as a family unit. "Lord, please strengthen our faith as we make this giving commitment. We acknowledge you have given us everything we have. We know that apart from You, there would be nothing to give. As we stand on the promises of Your Word, please allow us to know Your joy through our lives. It is such a joy to be on this journey of growth in our giving. You continue to bless our lives through Your church. Thank You Lord for who You are and allowing us to be obedient children through our giving commitment!"